Scribe/baker Julie Seltzer's Challah Recipe
|1) Portion dough 2) Knead dough 3) Sculpt dough 4) Brush with egg 5) Arrange on baking sheet 6) Sprinkle with poppy seeds 7) Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees until it is golden brown 8) Allow to cool on rack 9) Enjoy!|
1 tbsp. dry yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 - 3/4 cup sweetener (sugar, honey)
1/2 - 3/4 cup oil (canola or other non-flavored)
1 tbsp. salt
2 cups very hot/boiling water.
- Add 3 eggs (beaten) to the above mixture, then add in the yeast mixture.
- Add 1/4–1/2 cup oats
- Add whole wheat until it's the consistency of a thick soup.
- Add white flour until it reaches a doughy consistency ready for kneading.
- Allow the dough to rise a few of times, which depending on the temperature will take about 2–4 hours.
- Refer to the photos above for the rest of the steps!